Chinese Language Program
Mandarin is “too hard” to learn, right? Despite this widely held belief, millions of people are studying Mandarin Chinese as a second language. In America, Chinese is rapidly becoming one of the most studied languages, and in New York City alone over 60 high schools now conduct Chinese language classes. Right now, we have sophisticated Chinese language expeditions and summer camps that cater to both beginners and experienced learners. Under our watch, native born and professionally certified teachers will help open up the world of Chinese to you.
But if it’s so hard, why bother to learn Mandarin?
Is Mandarin Difficult?
There is no doubt that written Chinese is difficult to learn – even for the Chinese! But the spoken language is a different kettle of fish.
In many ways, Mandarin Chinese is much easier to learn than European languages. Here are some features which make Mandarin easy to learn:
- no subject/verb agreement
- no plurals
- no conjugations
- no tenses
- simple numbering system which is applied to dates and time expressions
- simple conditional sentences
- simple prepositions
Why Learn Mandarin?
So Mandarin is easy, but why learn it? The number one reason is that Mandarin Chinese is the most widely spoken language in the world. Learn to speak Mandarin and you can speak with millions of people around the world. Here are some more advantages to learning Mandarin Chinese:
- Business - Business people who speak Mandarin have a huge advantage in tapping into the Chinese market. It is much easier to develop all-important relationships if you can speak Mandarin.
- Travel - China offers exciting travel opportunities. Getting around is much easier if you can speak Mandarin.
- Culture - With thousands of years of history, Chinese culture is endlessly fascinating. Whether your interests are in history, architecture, music, or cuisine, a knowledge of Mandarin will enrich your understanding of Chinese culture.
The Chinese writing system is quite a challenge, but this is another reason to learn it! Despite its difficulty, learning to read and write Chinese will give you a lifetime of intellectual stimulation. The real beauty of the language is revealed in the writing. There are thousands of Chinese characters, but they are not randomly constructed. There is a system to their design, and understanding that system makes it much easier to learn new characters.
So take the challenge and learn Mandarin Chinese! Not only is it fun, but it’s also a great way to stand out from the crowd when it comes to job and career opportunities. For those high school and college students on summer break and looking for an adventure, our summer Chinese language programs are an excellent way to challenge yourself, while also learning a vitally important career skill.
For more information about our summer Chinese language camps and expeditions, please contact us today!